All You Need To Know About The Coronavirus Outbreak
The world stands shaken as the cases of coronavirus infection are proliferating at a scary pace around the world. Although precautionary measures to limit the spread are being adopted worldwide, there is still a lot of confusion about what exactly the virus is doing to people’s bodies.
What is Coronavirus?
Let us begin by knowing what Coronavirus actually is. Coronaviruses belong to a large family of viruses that may cause illness in both animals and humans. This virus majorly attacks the respiratory system in humans that begins with fever, cough or common cold and may lead to severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The most recently discovered coronavirus causes Coronavirus Disease 2019 or COVID-19.
How does Coronavirus cause infection?
Coronavirus spreads through the air whilst coughing or sneezing which people nearby can inhale through their noses. The viral particles get transmitted into your nasal passage and the mucous membrane at the back of the throat and lead to the progression of this infection. According to Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease specialist at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, this virus proceeds to “hijack the metabolism of the cell and says that “Don’t do your usual job. Your job now is to help me multiply and make the virus.”
What are the symptoms of Coronavirus Infection?
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, fatigue, and dry cough. Some patients may suffer from aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or even diarrhea. These symptoms are mild initially and increase gradually. Some of the people who are infected don’t develop any symptoms at first and don't realize they are infected.
The good news is that about 80% of people recover from the disease without needing any special treatment. Around 1 out of 6 people who get COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develop difficulty in breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical conditions like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious complications. It is advised that people with fever, cough, and shortness of breath should seek medical attention immediately.
What are the Prevention measures against COVID-19?
Staying aware of the current crisis of COVID-19 is one thing, but taking several measures in order to keep oneself safe and away from the infection is the need of the hour. This newly-declared pandemic has given rise to unpredictable situations and we need to take some simple precautions against it.
- Clean your hands regularly and thoroughly with either an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
- Maintain a distance of at least 1 meter (3 feet) between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. This will safeguard you against the virus particles in case the other person is infected.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. This might transfer the virus from contaminated hands to your eyes, nose or mouth and end up entering your body.
- Make sure that you and the people around you follow good respiratory hygiene. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue while coughing or sneezing. Thereafter throw the used tissue immediately.
- Rest completely in case you feel sick. If you have fever, cough or difficulty in breathing, seek medical attention immediately. Follow the directions of your physician. Ensure that all the surfaces in your home or workplace are disinfected properly.
- Stay aware of the latest COVID-19 hotspots and avoid traveling to these places as much as possible.
- Some natural approaches can also be adapted to support a healthy immune system. These include consuming foods that are rich in Vitamin C and D like citrus fruits, broccoli, almonds, ginger, yogurt, etc. You can consume immunity-boosting teas like chamomile tea for strengthening your immune function.
You can follow all these steps until newer treatments develop and save you and your loved ones from the coronavirus infection. Stay Safe And Healthy!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Blog
Our bodies are hubs of energy, spark and vitality and the way we treat it determines the extent of productivity and wellness that we will experience. Wellness comes from within and small acts of self-love are the ways to enhance our body’s biological and emotional well-being. Following a few simple rituals and self-care habits can go a long way in keeping you healthy and full of vigor. Your ideal self-care routine is here!
All of us consider happiness as a subjective quality, reasons for which may vary from person to person. We all have our individual quirks and a few specific things that produce joy and happiness. Apart from those little fancies that we have, there are some other means which are biologically proven to enhance mood and stimulate happiness. A few have been listed below -
The world stood still for months owing to the ongoing pandemic and the crisis it inflicted upon all of us is grave. Our PM emphasized the need for India to start recognizing the importance of local markets, local supply chains and local manufacturing. COVID-19 taught India the importance of being local in all that we do. He urged his citizens to become ‘Vocal About Local’ products and help these locally-produced goods to reach global heights. This is something we owe to our country and its local vendors, farmers, shopkeepers and manufacturers since they were the ones who tended to our demands while the nation was in unrest.